Friday, March 9, 2012

Potty training here we come!!!

So some would argue that 17 1/2 months is too early for potty training.  However, I have to say that my kid has been showing all the signs for awhile now.  Even her pediatrician agreed, but really wanted me to wait until 18 months. I have been putting it off, putting it off, for as long as I could so she could mature and fully grasp the whole idea.  I feel that starting too early could cause breakdowns, fits and lots of tears if they simply were not ready.  I've been doing things like taking her to the potty with me, showing her the basics, etc.  She gets it. 

This morning Caroline blew my socks off!!! It wasn't planned, it was pure spur of the moment.  She got "the look".  The infamous look that means, "I'm pooping or about to."  So I got the idea to give it a try.  "Caroline, you poop in the potty, lets go to the potty."  She runs back to the bathroom, I take her pajama bottoms and diaper off and hoist her up on the toilet.  (Keep in mind, I haven't even bought a potty chair yet.) I really thought this was a long shot and there probably wouldn't be any success so my hopes weren't up.  She sat there for a second and babbled a little bit.  I told her to poop, she beared down and "plop, plop!!" Well... it was a celebration after that!!!  I couldn't believe it, I was fully prepared for shut down mode to happen.  After she got cleaned up, she flushed the toilet, put her clothes back on and washed her hands and got a m&m.  (Yes, I'm all for bribing, or in this case rewarding.)

So proud of this girl!!! I understand its not going to always be like this.  We are going to have accidents and lots of set backs. Patience is a virtue. But I was pretty darn stoked that this happened the first time she ever sat on the toilet.  What a rock star!!!!

Looks like C and I will be heading to Babies R Us this afternoon to let her pick out a potty chair. 

1 comment: